Committing to Safety: Why Leadership’s Role in Safety Excellence is Key
Leadership has the power to transform an organization through their behavior and vision, which can result in the creation of an organizational culturethat supports safety excellence and world-class safety performance. Yet, when leaders fail to understand how their decisions and actions impact safety throughout their organization—or blame others when injuries occur—unintended outcomes can occur, negatively impacting results.
This is why it is key for leaders to understand that their position is holistic. Senior leaders have the power to make safety a value in every corner of their organization, from the front-line to the C-suite, through a commitment to create and execute a safety strategy that delivers exceptional safety performance.
This is where the DEKRA's Executive Leading with Safety® Approach comes in. It is designed to elevate the role of safety in an organization by preparing and motivating its executives to lead the effort, giving them the confidence and skills to mobilize the workforce to work more safely, thereby reducing accidents, illnesses, and costs.
But before any organization engages such a program, they must have a fundamental understanding why leadership needs to embrace safety at the top and commit to it in everything they do. The white paper, “Committing to Safety: Why Leadership’s Role in Safety Excellence is Key,” explores:
- A breakdown of the elements that make both a good leader and a good leader in safety.
- The many roles a leader must play if they want to engage their workers in creating a stronger safety culture.
- Communication essentials every organization's leader needs to know when delegating, coaching, or evaluating performance.
- An assessment of the challenges that safety leaders face in their organizational culture.
- A breakdown of DEKRA’s Executive Leading with Safety® Approach
- The four assessed elements of transformational leadership.