EMC and Radio Frequency Testing
Measuring Radio and Electromagnetic Emissions
Nearly all electronic devices generate some form of unwanted interference. It is unavoidable. However, to ensure safe operations, they may emit only a limited amount and they should be immune to a certain level of electromagnetic radiation (radiated and conducted). To ensure the safety and health of those who use electronic devices and of the environment, electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) and radio frequency (RF) testing are used to analyze the ability of the devices to operate as anticipated when in proximity to other electronic devices or in the presence of electromagnetic emissions.
DEKRA also performs SAR (specific absorption rate) testing to measure the amount of radio frequency absorbed by the body when using a specific wireless device.
Preparing for Market Access
DEKRA’s global network of testing laboratories and specialized experts can test for electromagnetic compatibility according to international standards. Our reports demonstrate that your device complies with the applicable EMC and RF requirements, preparing them for market access and success without interference. In addition, we offer services tailored to meet your specific requirements.
- Different sizes of EMC chambers. Did you know that we have many different sizes of EMC chambers? Working with DEKRA, you have access to EMC chambers with a range of up to 10 meters.
- Full and flexible testing. We offer full type approvals , as well as flexible, independent testing methods tailored to your specific needs, including on-site, off-site, and pre-compliance testing.
As a notified body, DEKRA supports your business continuously, issuing an NB Opinion according to the RED Directive, if applicable. We also provide testing and certification for EMC as a Notified Body under the European Electromagnetic Compatibility directive 2014/30/EU. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has listed us as a Conformity Assessment Body (CAB). This means that all of our EMC test results are accepted by the FCC and grant immediate access to the U.S. market.
The products we test include:
- Electric and electronic equipment
- Electric vehicle charging stations
- Electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE)
- Tolling readers, tags, and transponders
- V2X road-side units (RSU) and onboard units (OBUs)
- Automotive infotainment and telematics units
- Power supplies and batteries
- Smart home devices
- Wireless modules and devices
- Hearing aides
- IT products
- Medical devices
- Automotive electronics
- Security systems and alarms
- Lighting products
- Military and aerospace equipment
- E-bikes and scooters
- CENELEC (Europe)
- IEC (International)
- ETSI (Europe)
- FCC (U.S.)
- RSS (Canada)
- ASCA (U.S.)
- Automotive standards (BMW, PSA, VW, etc.)
- ARIB (Japan)
- NOM (Mexico)