Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL)
DEKRA Mark for Electrical Products
DEKRA is authorized to grant certification marks for electrical and electronic products in the United States and Canada
North American electrical and electronics manufacturers can now easily test and certify products for use in North America, as DEKRA is recognized as a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) by the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) and is accredited by the Standards Council of Canada (SCC) as a certified test laboratory.
As an extension of DEKRA’s global accreditations and recognitions, NRTL and SCC enable manufacturers seeking testing and certification for new product introductions to improve time to market, while organizations managing existing product certifications can realize significant efficiently gains and cost savings.
When you chose DEKRA, you are supported by a company with over 95 years of experience in safety-related testing, inspection, and certification, but also receive personalized service, customized to your organization’s needs.
- Deep Experience: DEKRA has provided more than 3,000 IECEx product certifications supporting global access to multiple countries including the North American market since its inception in 2003.
- Fast, Tailored Service: DEKRA offers an efficient certification process based on the recognition and acceptance of a wide array of previously tested components.
- Global Expertise with a Personal Touch: A single DEKRA expert will support you through the global certification route, maximizing convenience and efficiency during the entire process.
DEKRA is authorized to test and certify products in these areas:
- Explosion Safety and Industrial Controls
- IT/AV – LAB Equipment
- Medical Equipment
- Power Supply
- Household Appliances and Controls
For a detailed list of products under DEKRA's NRTL scope, please visit the regulators' websites for the United States and Canada .
In addition to our own scope, we also have an extensive partner network for certifying your product. Please contact us for more information on this subject.
Types of Certification
DEKRA supports two types of certification for electrical and electronic products in the North American market:
- Model Certification (or Type 3 Certification): In this scheme, surveillance is mandatory. Therefore, factory inspections are necessary, and samples of the product are periodically taken to check that items produced after the initial verification fulfil the specified requirements.
- Batch or Field Certification (or Type 1B Certification): In this scheme, the surveillance is not mandatory. Products obtain a one-time certification.
North America Certification Scheme (NACS)
DEKRA is authorized to certify electrical and electronic products under our North American Certification Scheme (NACS) scheme. We have close relationships with US and Canadian regulators and offer the ability to request certification for both markets at the same time.
- United States: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) who recognized DEKRA as a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL).
- Canada: The Standard Council of Canada (SCC) who accredited DEKRA to be a Certification Body for the Canadian market.
In addition, DEKRA has decades of expertise in the North American certification market via a network of qualified partners. This network is still available for current and future certification needs.
Procedure for Obtaining a DEKRA Product Certification Mark in North America
DEKRA offers assistance throughout the certification process to assure your products comply with the NASC and are ready to go to the market displaying an official certification mark.
During the Evaluation or testing phase, we offer different options to get your products certified cost-effectively and on time. We:
- Recognize and accept a wide array of components previously tested in other accredited and recognized laboratories according to the applicable standards.
- Have flexible testing routes -- in DEKRA's laboratories, in your own laboratory or in a third-party laboratory.
- Offer combined testing according to NACS and the IECEE CB-Scheme or IECEx by one scenario to shorten the timeline of the certification process.