The Making Safe Decisions® Solution
When organizational culture, leadership, and systems are strong and supportive, people still make mistakes because:
- They often do not see the exposure, given how the human visual system operates.
- They do not recognize the exposure as a problem.
- They miss a step in a procedure because of fatigue, distraction, or running on autopilot.
We’re particularly susceptible to these errors when we’re working by ourselves, yet working in teams can create new exposures. In fact, some incidents have occurred only because there were other people present. We are at risk because we are human, and the way our brains are designed can leave us vulnerable to errors.
The Making Safe Decisions® solution helps workers understand these vulnerabilities and teaches behavioral strategies for improving their defenses. Participants learn how their brains operate in both helpful and hindering ways and how individuals and teams can optimize real-time high-performance reliability to avoid unplanned events.
The technical white paper “The Making Safe Decisions Solution” explores:
- The challenges of Brain-Centered Hazards™.
- A step-by-step guide through the Making Safe Decisions implementation process.
- How leaders can recognize Brain-Centered Hazards and what they can do to control them.
- The foundation of the Making Safe Decisions solution and the steps that are essential to every human action when working alone or with others.
- Key responsibilities for both the governance team and managers in supporting the implementation of the solution.