Discipline and Safety: 8 Principles for Getting it Right
How do you know when it’s right to discipline an employee? After an injury happened? When a rule was broken? Getting discipline right is difficult for most organizations. On one hand, rules must be in place and consequences must follow violations. On the other hand, the punitive aspect of disciplinary programs can undermine the kind of workplace collaboration and participation essential to success in safety.
This white paper examines eight principles for supporting employee engagement by getting disciple right. We cover:
- The purpose of discipline in safety
- The ways leaders’ biases undermine safety performance
- Why compliance must be enabled to be effective
- The importance of providing feedback that supports rule compliance
- The critical role procedural justice plays in employee behavior