DEKRA offers tips on what to do in case of an elevator breakdown
Self-Rescue from Elevator Puts Your Life at Risk
If the elevator gets stuck, and you are trapped inside, you should under no circumstances attempt to get out of the elevator cab yourself, DEKRA experts warn. Such attempts can be fatal. Most modern elevators are equipped with an emergency call system that allows people who are trapped inside to contact a call center that is staffed around the clock. Help usually arrives at the site within 30 minutes.
- Press emergency call button for three to five seconds
- Emergency call center is staffed 24/7
- Calm other people
- Make an emergency call. To do so, press the emergency call button in the elevator cab for at least three to five seconds.
- Keep calm and trust in the emergency response system. Even if you feel like it is taking a long time for help to come, do not under any circumstances attempt to rescue yourself.
- Do not try to open the door from the inside in between floors and climb out of the elevator that has come to a standstill halfway between floors. Doing that would put your life at risk: The elevator could start moving unexpectedly.
- Please follow the instructions given by the emergency services. Usually, the technician will move the elevator into a position in which the doors can be opened from the outside.